Wednesday, April 9, 2014
March 2014 Minutes
Sharie L. Jones and Maxene Harlow, Co-Presidents
The meeting was held at Bartley Ranch and was called to order at 11:00 am.
The February minutes were approved by general consent. Doris asked that the January minutes reflect that members did not want to give a donation to Heifers International this year.
Treasurer’s Report: Doris reported she’s received 8 more dues, $200 and sold 3 spindle kits, $15. Expenses include: $11.85 spindle supplies, $11.30 purchase deposit slips, and $435 for renewal of our liability insurance. The guild has $3636.72 with 35 paid members.
Library Report: Heidi reported “nothing new” but noted that her email address is now on the blog site for those who wish to contact her to check out items from the guild library.
1. Sue G. passed around a magazine regarding places members/the guild might want to donate to.
2. Amy will post contact information for Spindle Camp June 4-8 on the guild Facebook page.
3. Carson City Rendezvous – since the guild is not a non-profit, members wishing to sell items at the event may need to pay a fee. Shari will contact them to see if there is a cost. Members could attend after our regular meeting at Marilynn’s in June.
4. Members discussed Joan Ruiz’s website spincotton.com. We have her DVD in our library. The Spinning Cotton Workshop in Nevada City is filling up fast. Contact Virva for info on how to sign up.
5. Amy gave additional information on the Nevada Sesquicentennial July 30-August 3 in Carson City. She sent around a clipboard to signup for various committees/competitions. The fair’s website is NV150fair.org. Amy wants to have a beginning spinning competition. Details were discussed. She encourages people to display items. She will report back with how much space the guild will have at the fair.
1. Secretary Marilyn asked if the Show and Tell portion of the meeting could be left out of the minutes in order to simplify the secretary position for her and upcoming secretaries. Members approved the motion by general consent. (Thank you!)
2. Carol Lopez attended Stitches, a “kaleidoscope of color” in Santa Clara recently and highly recommends the event.
3. Virva reports Barbara can’t do the guild’s raffle anymore. After discussion, members decided to postpone raffles until we need to raise money and/or we have a special event.
4. Sandi asked if the guild was doing Farm Days in Carson City. Amy said maybe not. Sandi will find out and post it on Facebook.
5. Shari reported that there were complaints after the Celtic Fair that the guild was selling items in the Reenactment area and that we should have paid the $325 vendor fee. After discussion, members decided not to sell items at the next Celtic Fair in October 2014.
The Learning Tree today was all about different kinds of spindles and how to spin different kinds of fibers.
After Show and Tell, the meeting was adjourned.
In attendance: Marilyn Pearson, Myna Giannotti, Ashley Thibedeau, Sandi Steele, Margery McConaghy, Mimi Bullard, Jo Van Winkle, Noelle Van Winkle, Nancy Pryor, Sara Freitag, Shelley Neate, Heidi Ericson, Susan Palwick, Sheila Young, Maxene Harlow, Sharie L. Jones, Virva Porcelli, Libby Hejny, Barbara Hunt, Lexsa Stevens, Sue Gottsacker, Amy Shannon, Chris Lopez, Carol Lopez, Judy Wells, Kiera Mayberry, Jan Mayberry, Eileen Jacobs, Mary Sherman, Marilynn Clarke, Doris Woloszyn, Hannah Woods, and Paulette Bowers.
Next meeting is at the Bartley Ranch School House April 12th