March 9, 2013
Sharie L. Jones and Maxene Harlow, Co-Presidents
Minutes of the last meeting were approved by general consent.
Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Doris reported she’s collected dues from nine members, spent $90 on the warp/weft materials, and that we have $3436.07 with 28 members. She expects to pay our insurance this month but, because of a long-standing mix-up by the company, our premium may go down.
Library Report: Librarian (Keeper of the Books) Heidi reported she has two new books: “Color to Dye For” and “The Spinner’s Book of Yarn Designs”. She has $70 left to spend this year. Email her if you have suggestions.
1. Max’s Peaks and Valleys skirt workshop at Jimmy Bean’s is March 23. Only 10 spaces are available.
2. Upcoming events: Farm Day, 4/18-19 @ Fuji Park, 8:00-2:00; Marilynn’s Dye class 5/18-19, six people have signed up so far but she needs a minimum of nine; Spindle Camp 6/5-9 in Lake Francis near Marysville CA; Conference of Northern CA Hand weavers Tailgate, 5/31-6/1, Resort @ Squaw Creek. Must be pre-registered; Black Sheep Festival, 6/21-23 Eugene Oregon.
3. Raffle continues to be suspended. Doris may have some items from Nancy G. in the future.
1. Mimi tore her Achilles’ tendon right before sheep shearing. She is wearing a boot and is getting around.
2. A woman in Max’s Tuesday knitting group is looking for people to demonstrate spinning for an upcoming Girl Scout Camp in Sacramento. Members advised her to have them contact Magnolia Guild in CA.
3. Looking for Learning Tree ideas for the CSSW retreat in September. Max showed a fiber scarf kit that can be purchased for $18. Members were interested and will vote on this idea at the next meeting.
4. Learning Tree for April – Ellen will talk about how the Merino sheep came to America. Doris will bring a Merino fleece. Please contact Sharie or Max if you have topic ideas for a learning tree.
Show and Tell: Max finished her connect-the-dots sweater and phone animals. She also made a shrug out of her own homespun. Virva made handwarmers for her husband and said they were easy to knit. Amy showed her handpainted red and yellow spinning wheel. Marilynn showed a magazine article on a woven silk panel that former member Diana Ballard printed. It won third place at Convergence. Gina showed some silk noil she will be dyeing. Kendra showed a hexagon shawl she is working on and her wire wrapped spindles. Ashley made a cute owl hat with cables for the first time. Toni brought books that show how to knit cat and animal hats. Heidi finished two projects, a linen stitch scarf and a baby blanket for her nephew. Connie showed a book of sweaters and a size one baby boy sweater she made. Nancy showed her purple heart yarn that continues to change color and some woven shawls she made. She also brought old books and magazines for a donation to the guild. Judy showed a crocheted necklace her sister made. Sharie showed a mobius hood/cowl she made and her homespun yarn with “texture”.
In Attendance: Jo Van Winkle, Margery McConaghy, Ellen Fenn, Connie Vann, Nancy Pryor, Mary B., Sharie L. Jones, Maxene Harlow, Leslie Godbe, Virva Porcelli, Libby Hejny, Barbara Hunt, Carol Lopez, Janet Schueller, Amy Shannon, Kristin Little, Marilynn Clarke, Doris Woloszyn, Gina Iwahashi, Kendra Iwahashi, Ashley Thibedeau, Sheila Young, Toni Strassburg, Janet Drozd, Eileen Jacobs, Robin Gallagher, Judy Wells, Heidi Ericson, Marilyn Pearson
Next Meeting: April 13th
Bartley Ranch: Drive .8 miles west from the intersection of McCarran Blvd and Hwy 395. Turn left (south) on Lakeside Drive and continue .4 miles. Bartley Ranch is at the north base of Windy Hill. Turn left on Bartley Ranch Road and continue several hundred feet to the main parking lot. Cross the covered bridge and turn right into the parking lot for the School House.